MLB.com released their prospect rankings for teams in the AL Central today and you can find the White Sox rankings here. Although I haven't released my rankings, below are my thoughts on this list.
- MLB.com continues the trend for the most part of putting Courtney Hawkins (#1), Trayce Thompson (#2), Erik Johnson (#3), and Carlos Sanchez (#4) as the top four. This seems to be (except for a few) the consensus in the industry.
- The first think that pops out to me is OF Jared Mitchell coming in at #5. You should know by now that I'm not as high on Jared Mitchell as others including this list. I mean at #5, really? He hasn't been the same since his injury. He batted .237 last year while having a K% of over 30%. He's got some upside to him; 11 HRs, 21 SBs, and had a decent OPS considering his AVG last year. Also, he isn't too far away from the majors. However, no way does Jared Mitchell belong in the top 5.
- Next up is Nestor Molina at #10. Molina entered 2012 as probably the top prospect in the system, but had a miserable year compared to 2011. He had a losing record, a 4.55 ERA, and a WHIP north of 1.5. For me, if Molina is even going to be considered a top 10 prospect, he is going to have to show me that he can get remotely close to what he once was (2011) in 2013.
- Jhan Marinez at #13 might be a little bit of a stretch. Still will should be a nice reliever who can see more time in Chicago this year.
- The same can be said for Brandon Brennan.
- Simon Castro probably should be bumped up a few spots. In my pitcher rankings, I had Simon Castro 4th. So Leesman, Marinez, Brennan, Beck, and Molina should be behind Castro in my opinion.
- I would put both Joey DeMichele and Marcus Semien above some of those pitchers that I just listed above.
Follow Pale Hose Prospectus on Twitter - @ChiSoxProspects